Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Preparing to start 'Online Facilitating Course' (OFC)

Well, I will say that new online technology can test the patient of a saint or in my case a frustrated mother in between school pickups and exchanging faulty headsets (AH AH AH). Despite these hiccups - once you get the hang of it, it is quiet addictive and I have to stop myself following every blog and playing with Elluminate. I have started a list of definitons (blog, wiki, podcast, blogging etc) and brief notes to keep the new knowledge I am acquiring in some form of order. Playing on Elluminate is amazing - so real time and face to face contact. It is easy to understand how exciting it will be to one day catch up with people thousands of miles away that you have only met in the virtual world. I look forward to creating and learning together.

5 comments:

  1. Hello Jillian! I'm just up the coast from you. Are you doing your Masters at USC?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes a few weeks to get the hang of the technology and we don't expect you to be expert at every single tool by the end of the course. Just take your time...focus on one thing at a time...and think how you'll use each tool for online facilitation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rachel, sorry I din't reply earlier, I thought my blogs / messages would come through my email account and I would know that you had left a message, so I think I must need to check my blog account to pick these up. In relation to your question - yes I am studying at USC. I have only 2 subjects to finish my masters this semester so am looking forward to that, although I do enjoy study. Are you studying at USC as well?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Week 1 reflections of OFC: Well so far so good, except for a minor hitch in not receving my blogs via email. I thought I had set this up but I think I need to push the 'email me this blog' button on each blog I am following???? My mind is racing with ideas and ways in which I can use this new technology but I will need to shelve this monkey chatter in my head and concentrate on one thing at a time. I was very impressed with Elluminate and loved the sense of being able to speak with people from all over the world. This opportunity has increased my teaching resources 'to infinity and beyond'.I also love the openness and willingness of people to share their work and resources with others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gilliasn| This is what I love about the online world that sometimes I feel is difficult F2F...so many people willing to share and help you out. :)

    ReplyDelete